Friday, April 17, 2009

A Classic Lady

There are so many world-class Singaporean violinists these days that, to be honest, I've lost track. There's Min Lee... there's Kam Ning... and then there's Siow Lee Chin

Being a Classical illiterate, I must admit I hadn't heard of Lee Chin before. But having met her, I know I will not forget her. 

Other than the fact that she has performed in the most prestigious concert halls in the world (including New York's Carnegie Hall and Royal Albert Hall), and has a string of accolades under her belt, what struck me about this classically-trained violinist is that she's really quite a cheeky, quirky girl.  

When Stan reminded listeners (who had signed up for The Living Room's Bird Park outing the next day) to wear comfortable shoes, Lee Chin quips, "I guess I can't join you guys at the Bird Park then. I'm wearing stilettos!" 

And she goes on to show us her sleek black strappies [pictured]. When I cajoled her for a photo to put on our blog, she jokes, "I hope your listeners don't have a foot fetish! Or they'll all turn up for my Master Class and sit in the front row, staring at my feet!" 

And what does this accomplished musician busy herself with when she's not performing or teaching violin at the University of Charleston, South Carolina (where she's currently based)? 

"Gardening," she admits somewhat bashfully. "I know, it's not exactly an activity where I'll get to meet tall, dark and handsome men. Hmm, maybe that's why I haven't met any tall, dark and handsome men!" 

On a more serious note, Lee Chin reveals the deep impact her father had on her. He was a renowned violinist as well, and was her first teacher & mentor at age 7. In many ways, her album Songs My Father Taught Me is a tribute to him. 

Well, Lee Chin will be holding a Master Class on Labour Day. "Labouring on Labour Day?" we tease her. Yes, that's how passionate she is! 

So that's Siow Lee Chin for you. She's not only one beautiful, talented and classy lady, she's also one with a surprisingly wicked sense of humour! 

No comments: