Monday, December 01, 2008

From Road to Runway

I'm into my second week of in-camp training and am missing the show, but Pam's really the hero these two weeks that I'm gone and she's getting a good grip of the show. The least I can do is to blog from afar off what's been keeping me busy while she's toiling hard to bring you your favourite weekday talkshow.

The big exercise that my squadron had been planning last week was over in just under 30 minutes yesterday. The lamp posts, street signs and bus shelters had all be toppled and laid to rest on its side. Ironically, it's by the Chinese and Muslim cemeteries. Location: LCK as how the sergeants and officers refer to it. For the layman, let's stick with the familiar Lim Chu Kang Road.

I got a little tan from my time out in the sun, but it was all worth it. At the end of the exercise, our base commander lauded praise for how well the NSmen had worked together to pull the whole thing off.

Prior to the commencement of the exercise, I'd already been appointed as the NSMan to be the squadron's spokesperson. Now wasn't that a strategic move on the part of my officers to place a media guy in front of the media? So there I was on the road fielding questions from the media about my involvement in the exercise as well as the squadron's.

It'll literally be five years down the road before the long straight will be closed to vehicular traffic and public access for our fighter and support jets to use it as an alternate runway again. Until then, it was a spectacular display of RSAF's sleek machines that sadly wasn't caught on camera by members of the public. Regrets I can't download more details/photos as some of these are classified information.

No comments: